Lung Cancer

Recent CT results

08/13/2007

Question:

A month or so ago I went for a routine physical with a new doctor. I told her I was concerned about lung cancer because I am a smoker and my family has a history of lung cancer (mother, grandfather, uncle). She ordered chest x-rays. They found a nodule on my lung and ordered a ct. The results of that came back as calcification and scar tissue. I have not had pneumonia in 10 years. I am 46 now. Three years ago I had chest x-rays to determine if I had pneumonia (it was bronchitis) and nothing abnormal showed up on the x-rays. My new doctor has not talked to me about the results of the ct. Her general nurse told me there was nothing to worry about. I have had no further contact with the doctor. Should I follow up with additional cts at some later date?

Answer:

I would recommend that you ask your physician to go over the CT results with you.  I would also recommend that you obtain a copy of the CT report for your records.  If the nodule is completely calcified, than no further evaluation is necessary. If there are any non-calcified nodules, than you should have a follow up chest CT.

I hope that helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery