Menopause

Menopausal or depressed?

10/11/2007

Question:

My girlfriend had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed and she had a big loss of weight prior to the surgery and was very irritable-- yelling at her kids and making me the brunt of her frustrations. 3 weeks after surgery she ran off and left me and her children... She could not handle day to day tasks and refuses to see a doctor. She says the stress of the household and me being pushy is the cause. We all love her but she is not herself and refuses to discuss the possibility that she is feeling normal reactions to the surgery and maybe a mental issue that needs addressed. How can we help? How do you help someone who resists help before she loses everything? She is 47 and our relationship was solid before her fibroid diagnosis. She also complains of other medical symptons that recently arose like asthma and hip pain that obcess her.

Answer:

I would recommend seeing if she would talk with her gynecologist/surgeon about what she is experiencing.  Perhaps she would let you accompany her.  If not, she can go by herself to the appointment.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology