Gum Diseases

Gum recession

08/09/2007

Question:

Hello, I`m a 44 year old male with HIV. Recently I`ve had some strange tingling sensation on my upper gums in the front two teeth and the two off to the right and my gums have noticably recessed, what I think, rather quickly. I`ve seen my dentist, but he didn`t seem too concerned even though the picture he took last November show an obvious change. He said my mouth looks good and there`s no gum disease that he can see, but what about the tingling sensation that I have....it feels like its eroding my gums. Can you have some kind of periodontal disease even if your gums appear to be healthy to the naked eye?

Answer:

You are probably taking several medications to control your HIV problem. There are known side effects and some of them are related to oral health. Recession is a part of periodontal disease although it does not have typical clinical signs of inflammation including bleeding, swelling, redness etc. Tingling sensation may be related to several things (example: some viral or fungal infections start with tingling sensation).  It is not normal to have attachment loss in short time with no reason. One reason that may not be related to disease is that you may be causing some type of trauma while you are brushing, etc. Smoking may cause similar results. It is hard for me to talk about it without clinically seeing it. Please try to visit a periodontist with your previous dental records.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology