High Blood Pressure

Swelling of feet and lower legs

08/20/2007

Question:

I`ve been on blood pressure medicine and fluid med for years.I`v had a bi-femeral bipass. Recently I have been gaining weight rapidly and my feet and legs swell to the point that I can not walk correctly, other than the swelling I feel fine.Can you tell me you openion on why I am swelling so much lately?

Answer:

Leg swelling (edema) can have several causes.  The most common cause is the retention of salt and water by the kidney.  This can often be corrected with diuretics (water pills).  Diuretics can also help lower your blood pressure.

Another cause of edema is heart disease.  You need an evaluation by your doctor and possibly an echocardiogram to test your heart function.

Another cause of edema is kidney disease, especially the loss of protein in the urine.  This can be diagnosed by a simple analysis of your urine and by blood tests checking your kidney function.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section