Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Overactive sex drive



I am 49 years old. I haven`t had my period for approx. 6 months. Before that I had it lightly every day for about the same amount of time. I have a problem that I can NEVER ever find online. I have always had a high sex drive, now it seems to be at an all time high and getting worse. It may sound like a great problem but it isn`t. It really is the equivalent of a man having an erection all day. I actually feel like I am on the verge of having an orgasm for most of the day. Sometimes I get some relief but then it returns with a vengeance. I can actually feel throbbing down there. I have to work and function all day and really am bothered by this problem. I also still have milk in my breasts although not like I did when I nursed which by the way was 20 years ago. I have had milk since I was 14. What on earth could be causing this? Which hormone is making my system go haywire? I would LOVE help!!! Everytime I have told a doctor over the years about having milk in my breasts they just seem to shrug it off. It is embarrassing when I have to get a mammogram!


It sounds as though you may be describing Persistent Female Arousal Syndrome. To begin with I would suggest checking your testosterone level for the arousal disorder and your prolactin level for the breast discharge. Unfortunately, persistent female arousal disorder is not well understood.

Here is a reference that might be of help to you:

This article describes a case of persistent sexual arousal syndrome (PSAS) seen by the Gynecology Consult Service of the National Institutes of Health. This syndrome was first described in 2001 and is characterized by excessive and unrelenting sexual arousal in the absence of desire. PSAS has only recently come to the attention of the health care community, and its prevalence in the population is not completely known. It is important to report cases of this syndrome in order to help clarify its prevalence, etiology, and prognosis and to determine possible methods of treatment.

You should discuss this with your healthcare provider to determine if you have PSAS and see what type of treatment would be right for you.

For more information:

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati