Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Lack of tests for APLS follow-up care

08/09/2007

Question:

I am positive for antiphospholipid syndrome per my primary Dr. I would like to know what lab. tests after the diagnosis help to keep a watchful eye for clotting or stickiness of the blood? My risk of a clot is important to me; as much someone on Warfarin --which I am not. But I do understand that the state of their condition is mapped out better for treatment plan. I take half a regular aspirin aday. Now I am on Arimidex which ups the risk somewhat more. Can you offer any suggestions?

Answer:

You seem to be very well informed. I'm not sure why the antiphospholipid test was ordered if you have not had a blood clot. Regarding the symptoms to watch for, generally swelling of the extremities, tenderness or shortness of breath or chest pain are things to watch for, the latter being more likely seen with a blood clot to the lungs.

I would recommend routine care, just being more aware of symptoms. If your doctor was really concerned about blood clots, I don't think you would be on the arimidex. The phospholipid test means a lot more if you already have a clot, but if you don't, it doesn't tell you very much. I hope this helps out.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine