Filling above apex of tooth

08/10/2007

Question:

Hi, I had a abscess tooth and my face swelled up. After opening the tooth and antibiotics it started to go down. Now I had the root canal done and my face started to swell again. It is hard like a rock. I was told the filling is going above the appex of the tooth. Could this be why im swelling in that area. The dentist tends to think it is an abscess but im starting to wonder. If it is swelling from the filling going beyond the appex of the tooth will that heal or do I need to have it surgically removed? Thanks for your time. Mindy

Answer:

It sounds like you are experiencing a flare-up (swelling and/or discomfort within a few hours to days after treatment) which is a normal reaction to treatment in certain types of teeth like the one you are describing.  This happens in approximately 10% of these cases.  Flare-ups last a few days to a week and the symptoms can be treated with medications.  Speak to your dentist if you have questions regarding treatment.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics