Exercise and Fitness

Flabby thighs

08/28/2007

Question:

Hello, im 24 years old. i have a small build but my thights and bottom are larger and wobbly.. i have always put my weight on in that area. My waist is small but my thighs and bottom are rather large. i cant get any pants to fit because they eihther fix in the waist and are wayyyyyyy to tight in my thighs and butt or they fit my thighs and butt and are huge in the waist... So im wondering if you could please advise me of the best exercise to loose/tighten my wobbly thights and bottom and what food i should and shouldnt eat..

Answer:

Other than recommending a well-balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, I cannot advise you about what to eat and not eat. A registered dietitian can examine your diet and provide you with sound nutritional counseling.

If you are a beginning exerciser, I would advise you to consider incorporating a well-rounded fitness program into your life. Such a program would include cardiovascular activity (walking, biking, etc.), strength training (weights, machines, resistance bands), and flexibility training (stretching). All of these activities will not only improve your overall health but assist in toning and shaping your body.

There are specific exercises to tone the outer hips, inner thighs, and buttocks. A few examples include: side-lying outer hip raise, side-lying inner thigh raise, and squat.

However, these exercises should be done along with exercises for the other major muscle groups of the body, for instance, the chest, middle back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, abdominals, and low back. These exercises will tone the muscle underneath the adipose (fat) layer but not “remove fat”.

After you have incorporated a well-rounded diet and fitness program into your life you will find that your body will be more toned and shapely. However, genetics does play a role in the muscle and fat distribution of the body and your individual body shape. To help you get started, joining a gym or local YMCA is a good beginning. It is recommended that you consult your physician before starting any exercise program.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Patricia A Woellert, MSW, MEd Patricia A Woellert, MSW, MEd
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley