Stroke

TIA

08/13/2007

Question:

I resently had a cat scan, and the results arepunctate foci of low attenuation in the para falcine location, andmost likely represent lipomas. Changes of small vessel ischemic and remote lacunar infarction. Sequela of remote lacunar infarction is noted in the lentiform nucleus on the right. Can you please tell me what this means? Thanks

Answer:

The CT scan is suggestive an incidental small/tiny old stroke. However, MRI is much more sensetive than CT scan. So, to be certain of this finding I suggest MRI. If the MRI confirms that you have a remote lacunar stroke/infarction, then all risk factors must be modified (Hypertention, Diabetes, Smoking, High cholesterol, over weight etc. You must also exercise and follow low fat diet. Moreover, none invasive stroke work up (EKG, Echocardiogram, Carotid Dupplex, Lipid profile), to look for the cause of the lacunar stroke, must be initiated.

Best regards and hope the above helps.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program