Depression

Depression and Concussions

08/17/2007

Question:

I`m 50 yr old and have been diagnosed with depression (been depressed all of my adult life). I have had 4 concussions, one where I was unconscious for 5 hrs. Could this be the cause of my depression? Does this make depression more difficult to treat? Will I struggle with depression the rest of my life?

Answer:

It's hard to say whether your concussions have contributed to your depression. Timing, location, severity, and duration of the concussions may influence their effect on depression. If they led to brain damage or chronic pain, they could be one of several factors contributing to your depression. If you have not already, you should seek a consultation from a psychiatrist who will review the details of your evaluations and treatments after your 4 concussions. And you should work with a good primary care clinician to coordinate the care of your depression and your concussions. Persistent brain injury can make it more difficult to recover from depression.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program