Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders

Bruising that doesn`t hurt

08/14/2007

Question:

My 8 year old daughter has had brusing appear on her upper chest for no reason, it doesnt hurt at all and will go away and come back. I brought her into the doctor twice now and they did blood work and it came back negative. What could this be I am very worried?

Answer:

Children with inherited bleeding disorders often bruise easily.  They can have bruising with minor injuries.  However, it would be unusual for them to have bruising only on the chest.  They are also likely to bleed more than usual with dental extractions, and they may be prone to prolonged nosebleeds that are difficult to stop.

Taking medications that contain aspirin or ibuprofen can affect platelet function and can cause a person to bruise more easily.

Blood tests will usually uncover acquired conditions that cause easy bruising.

Your child could be doing some activity that causes her to bump her chest repeatedly and cause the bruising.  When the bruises occur, I would try to think about what she has been doing over the past 24 hours. 

If the bruises are large, if there are a lot of bruises, if she has other symptoms mentioned above and/or if there is a history of abnormal bleeding in other family members, I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your regular doctor.

Go to the Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders health topic, where you can:

Madeline Heffner, BSN, RN
Nurse Coord.