Alzheimer's Disease

Drug Transmission Time Frame of Aricept

08/15/2007

Question:

On August 3, my 85 year old father-in-law was prescribed aricept for memory loss. He only took it for 3 days and discontinued it. He claims he almost wrecked his car twice and one was a near head on collision. He also claimed there were girls in his house late at night talking among themselves. We believe he was dreaming this. But, since we have no information on how long it takes for the meds to kick in we can`t make any informed decisions as to whether he is getting this bad or if he has had a bad reaction to the aricept. His behavior is really getting irrational and we are afraid that without medicine further actions will need to be taken for his well being

Answer:

Aricept usually takes several weeks to have an effect because of its long “half-life.” It can cause disturbing dreams, however. I would not have great expectations for how Aricept can help his behavioral problems and activities of daily living.

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Peter J Whitehouse, MD, PhD Peter J Whitehouse, MD, PhD
Professor of Neurology