Pregnancy

08/15/2007

Question:

My last menstrual period was July 5th and I had a colonoscopy performed on Aug 9th with IV sedation of Midazolam I just found out today that I`m pregnant how much harm is my baby in? Please help.

Answer:

Midazolam seems to be a very safe drug during pregnancy. It is such a commonly used drug that many women have probably been in your situation, having been accidentally exposed to midazolam during early pregnancy, without any corresponding reports of harm to the developing fetus. However no controlled studies of high scientific standard in pregnant women have been conducted to confirm this. (It is impossible ethically to do such a study). Studies in rats and rabbits have been reassuring, but nobody can give you an absolute guarantee on this basis that your baby has not been harmed. The odds though are strongly in your favor. Good luck!

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology