Oral Cancer

A Small Bump After a Biopsy

08/15/2007

Question:

Quite a while back, toward the beginning of the year, I had a fairly nasty respiratory virus that (I assume) resulted in a swelling of my hard palate. I awoke one morning to find a swollen bump/lump on the left side of it that was hard and hurt a little when touched. Over a month went by and the swelling had gone down some but a small lump remained that worried me. I went to an ENT, who said to give it some more time and it should go away. It did not go away so I returned and the ENT said it was probably nothing to worry about because it was very small, but he would do a biopsy if it would make me feel better to know for sure, so I agreed. This small lump was off to the left side of the hard palate ridge. He did not do an incisional biopsy, instead he used that hole-punch type mechanism and took three or four large pieces out of my hard palate mucosa. He then applied the cauterizing agent and I went on home. The results came back that I had some inflamed minor salivary gland but that was all, which was good news! Well, it has been about four months since that biopsy, and even though it healed very quickly and very well, there is a hard knot right at the site where the biopsy was performed, and swelling around it. It doesn`t really hurt, but is a little tender if I rub it with my finger. When I look at it with a dental mirror and bathroom mirror (help from a flashlight) it doesn`t really look red or anything, just raised. Is this a common thing to happen after a hard palate biopsy of this type? Will it eventually go away? What I am afraid of is that something was missed during the biopsy, and has grown larger since. It just worries me not knowing for sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answer:

I am not able to answer that question as it pertains to your individual situation. It is reasonable, however, to have your ENT physician or an oral surgeon re-examine that area and provide you with additional input and answer your concerns, including whether or not another biopsy is warranted.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology