Finding Education Assistance

08/20/2007

Question:

I`m doing research on-line for a friend from work whose 16-year-old daughter has just been diagnosed with myotonic dystrophy. Her brother has also been diagnosed with the same. not surprisingly, the girl has had many learning problems and the parents had suspected ADD due to inattention, etc. she is due to start in a new school system this fall. two things -1) what information can we give the school to make her education more efficient and to give the educational staff some direction? 2) is there a support group in stark or summit counties to help these overwhelmed parents find the best path for their children? any and all help would be deeply appreciated.

Answer:

I'm so sorry but without knowing the young woman I can't be very helpful other than generalities like find out the laws in your state about individual education plans. If you are talking about counties in Ohio, go to the link below, find the Special Education Regional Resource Center for your area, and see what they suggest. I know the folks in the SERRC here have helped many of my patients.

Ohio Special Education Regional Resource Centers

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine