Smoking and Tobacco

Smoking Cessation

08/16/2007

Question:

I received a prescription for bupropion. I just had it filled and have set my target date for 9/1/07. I am clueless as to how to take this. The only instructions I received was two pills a day. Do I start taking one week or two weeks before start date, and do I contine after for a two week period. I did get the prescription in March, and the prescribing physican is on sabbatical for a year. No other physican will help. So I am hopeful you can help or guide me to an article that has actual directions.

Answer:

Bupropion is usually taken within two weeks of one's quit date. Since your quit date is 9/1/07, you can begin to take the medication within the next few days. You should start with one pill (150 mg) once daily for the first three days. On day four, start taking two pills (one in the morning and one in the evening) for a total of 300 mg/day. You should not take Bupropion if you have a history of seizures. Generally, most people continue bupropion (300 mg) for 7-12 weeks.

Attached below is a link to learn more about this medication.

Good luck with this -- quitting smoking is one of the most important change in behavior that you can do to improve your health.

Bupropion

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH
Professor of Health Behaviors & Health Promotion
College of Public Health