Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dentures or Implants?

08/20/2007

Question:

Over the years I have spent a fortune on my teeth. I now have an overlay denture on my bottom teeth - I only have seven teeth on the bottom + one implant. This needs to be redone.

On my upper right side I have my front and back tooth only. They are holding a provisional porcelain bridge. The bone is not good around the back tooth & the front tooth is being torqued. On the upper left side, I hav another porcelain bridge with three teeth and two implants. The back tooth has a crown on it.

I know you cannot make recommendations, but I am looking at very expensive dental work. Doing everything would cost about $19,000.

I am a 58 year old women. Both of my parents had full dentures. They are now deceased.

I am tired of having dental problems and hurting.

What are full dentures like? I know what my dentist tells me, and I am sure that it would be wonderful to have a full set of implants, but are dentures so bad? Thanks!

Answer:

Patients who have had both dentures and implant supported dentures (5-6 implants) on the bottom and top report much greater satisfaction with the implants. Of course, you could try the dentures yourself and have implants later if you are not comfortable. Sore spots are expected with dentures.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry