Extracted tooth that has root canal procedure

08/22/2007

Question:

I had a molar that has had a root canal procedure and later extracted after 3 years because of infection. Healing took a long time almost 4 months now, because there was breakage of the bone underneath during extraction. Time and again, I visited my dentist for post check up. In between, pain persisted. Took pain reliever. It is almost healing, but pain still persist. Why it is so? Where is the pain coming from, please help.

Answer:

Your pain is most likely related to the extraction of the tooth and not any remaining infection from the tooth that was extracted. In general, when an infected tooth is extracted, the source of the infection is removed and the area should heal. There may be a secondary infection/irritation due to the bone fracture. The pain may also be coming from a different source not associated with the extraction site at all. Further follow-up with an oral surgeon is recommended.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics