Pain Management

Birth Control for Preventing Migraines

09/04/2007

Question:

I just saw that the University of Cincinnati is conducting studies on the use of a birth control ring that lasts for one year. I have suffered from hormonal migraines for many, many years. I tried Seasonale once which completely alleviated my monthly migraine the first month, then lessened the migraine the second month, and by the third month my migraine returned. I`m wondering if the consistent use of a low hormone product such as the ring could alleviate monthly hormonal migraines. Have studies been conducted on this concept?

Answer:

As of right now, I don't know of any data on the use of a vaginal ring in the prevention of migraine headaches. It does maintain lower serum levels of estrogen and progesterone than do other methods of contraception. Its effect would depend on the ring's ability to inhibit ovulation and the patient's own innate vulnerability to a particular serum level of estradiol/progestin.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia