Colon Cancer

Miscommunications surrounding taking laxative

08/21/2007

Question:

My colonoscopy was scheduled on short notice. Through a bad miscommunication with my pharmacy and my lack of knowledge as to when I was supposed to begin my laxative, I did not begin preparation for my procedure until the morning before my procedure. I am unable to cancel at this time and the oncology department I am dealing with is aware of the circumstances. But my concern is that my bowel will not be cleansed properly for my procedure. Is there anything I can do to aide the laxative to clear out my system in time? I read that they can do the procedure but if the bowel isn`t cleansed properly it will take longer and be less accurate. This is very unfortunate not only for myself but my surgeon as well. I want nothing more than to properly cleanse my body before tomorrow. Help!?

Answer:

I would suggest canceling and rescheduling, as the exam would not be reliable if you’re not properly prepped.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD
Professor of Medicine