Myasthenia Gravis

Do I truly have Myasthenia Gravis?

09/05/2007

Question:

I exhibit many of the symptoms of MG which include: Specific Muscle Weakness Trouble chewing and doing normal everyday activities - muscles feel tired. Lid ptosis Uncontrollable Eye Movements - double vision, easy fatigueability.

I am currently being worked up for MG - have had a negative Acetycholine test so far. This past weekend my neurologist put me on Mysoline for a neck tremor. I am alos using the Transderm scop ear patch for dizziness, but had taken it off prior to initiation of mysoline. I am now experiencing moderate muscle weakness in my eyes, forearms, face, etc. Could this be caused by the mysoline or transerm scope patch? My neurologist seems hesitant to answer why I feel so bad from taking only one dose of mysoline and using the ear patch.

Answer:

I really can’t tell whether or not you have MG (and it would be inappropriate of me to guess about the diagnosis). It is certainly a possibility.

I would suggest that you continue to work with your neurologist as he/she works up your symptoms. It is important to be careful with the diagnosis of MG as many of the treatments carry significant side-effects. Of course, a second opinion is also an option.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology