Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Totally confused

08/24/2007

Question:

I just saw a new dentist, one of the very few who takes my insurance. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to keep my teeth and I keep running into problems. My current one is. A partial vs. a bridge. I used to have a bridge but it broke and the dentist fitted me with a partial becuase apparently I have bone loss and he said the bridge wouldn`t be a good idea. I don`t like partials and have had nightmares trying to have them fit correctly. Mine currently is broke. The clasps broke they were acrylic. The dentist said I could have new clasps put on or get a new one made. She wasn`t definite just left it up to me. Is there any way a bridge would work even if there is bone loss? She didn`t address this with me so... I`m left confused.

Answer:

It may work - it depends on how much bone you have lost. It is too risky to make a new bridge under a week foundation. You may lose your new bridge very soon.

If you are interested in a fixed bridge, ask your dentist or find out on the internet about implants. In this day, it is the best solution if you want something fixed, but usually is not covered by insurance and they could be expensive.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine