Root canal and gutta

08/29/2007

Question:

Hi, I had a root canal done again on a old failed root canal. After the root canal was done the dentists office called and said that tooth actually had two canals. He filled one with gutta and the other he just put in a permanant filling. He said it should be ok but if I want he will put in the gutta in the second canal. Do you think I should go back and have the gutta put in? If I dont what are the chances it will fail again? I have been worked on that tooth once a week now for over a month and I still have swelling in that area so I hate to have it worked on again. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

I'm not sure I completely understand your scenario. It seems as if you are asking if all the canals that are cleaned and shaped in a root canal should be filled with an endodontic filling material (in your case gutta percha). The answer to that is yes. If you have already had work done on this tooth four times without resolution of your symptoms, I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics