Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Teeth-in-a-day implants: are they as good?

08/28/2007

Question:

First, thank you for your previous answer to my question concerning implants. Because of it I just had a tooth removed and an implant put in and should be receiving the permanent crown in 6 months. However yesterday I saw an article in the Sept. issue of the Reader`s Digest that dealt with advances in dentistry. It said that it is now possible to replace a tooth with an implant in one day! Neither my oral surgeon, who is very well respected, nor my prosthodontist who is also well respected and head of my local university`s prosthodontic department even suggested this alternative. Then I came across an ad in the paper in which a dentist offered this procedure, saying it was also less expensive. What gives? If this proceedure can really give you a new tooth in a day and at lower cost why hasn`t it supplanted the "old" method? Shouldn`t I have been made aware of it?

Answer:

It is true that immediate loading of a tooth in a day can be done in selected cases. Most likely, you were not a good candidate for this type of delivery, so therefore it was not discussed with you. Waiting for healing is still the most predictable method.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry