Root canal

08/28/2007

Question:

In the beginning I had a filling done,after that It made my biting painful. The dentist told me I needed a root canal After the root canal I tried biting on some food. Chips, raisens, and meat. It is almost as painful without the root canal. I went back to the dentist, and he adjusted my crown. It didn,t seem to help. Do I need him to do the root canal over again? I asked him about it, and he said it wasn`t necessary.

Answer:

I do not have any information about when your root canal was done or what the diagnosis of your tooth was, but in certain teeth it is common to have discomfort with biting for a period of time after completion of the root canal. Having some discomfort or pain after a root canal is not uncommon. This is often due to an inflammatory process necessary for healing. Discomfort within the first couple of weeks can be well within the normal range.

If you are having problems managing your pain, you should speak with your dentist. If you continue to have pain longer than the normal range or you have a change in your pain or new symptoms develop, it would be best to be reevaluated by your dentist or endodontist to rule out any potential complications.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics