High Blood Pressure

High diastolic blood pressure

08/27/2007

Question:

my blood pressure reading is 127/111 have been feeling weak and light headed almost faint if you will. what can be causing the diastolic number to be so high and the systolic number staying in range?. i have never had blood pressure problems before.my pulse rate ws also at 117. the dr. prescribed lasix but with no explaination. can you explain this to me

Answer:

In people over age 50, mot of the risk of hypertension is linked to the systolic pressure (the upper number), but in younger people an elevated diastolic pressure also carries increased risk.

A heart rate of 117 at rest is abnormal and could be the sign of an underlying problem.  You should probably have an evaluation that includes a physical exam, a blood count, renal panel, a urinalysis and an electrocardiogram.  Depending on these results, you may need further tests.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section