Abscess not going away after root canal

09/07/2007

Question:

Hi, I had swelling and pain in my eye tooth and went to a dr and he told me my eye tooth needed a root canal and also two teeth behind it was an old root canal that went bad and he could see an absces on the xray on the old root canal so that needed to be redone. Well they did the root canal on both teeth and now the abscess is still there. Swelling is there but did go down. I can feel the abscess up in the gum line when I run my finger up there. The weird thing is the little bump is in between the two teeth they worked on. That tooth is fine because it was a root canal done two years ago. There is no abscess showing up on the xray on that tooth. So why is the bump and soreness above that tooth? Any suggestions?

Answer:

I can not speak directly to your case since I can not see your radiographs or evaluate you clinically. If you no longer have any swelling, drainage (bad taste in your mouth), and there is no infection evident in your radiographs - that usually means that the “abscess” causing you to need a root canal is gone. If your only symptom is noticing a bump when you push on it, you could be feeling healed tissue (like scar tissue). I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist who can clinically evaluate that bump and help alleviate any concerns.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics