Myasthenia Gravis

Surgery for tonsil

09/14/2007

Question:

my granddaughter had a simlpe tonsil removed for very bad abcess.turned out their was staff infection found in tonsil. when she woke up from surgery she couldnot walk,talk,or move her arms.as 2 days went on like this i after several attemts communicating with surgens office,i took her back to emergency room.they were stumped.the had her transpoted to childrens hospital in seattle. their first diagnosis was after communicating with surgeon was she was given an adult anastic for her surgery. surgeon is throwing this name myasthenis gravis.could wrong medication given to her be the cause of diagnosis given.

Answer:

Some anesthetics can have very bad side effects, such as malignant hyperthermia or the acute B12 deficiency associated with nitrous oxide. Some paralyzing agents can worsen myasthenia, if it is pre-existing (as in a congenital myasthenia). But I would be surprised that she is still breathing if she is unable to talk or move her limbs if it was myasthenia gravis. Sounds like they may need to keep working on the diagnosis.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD