Addiction and Substance Abuse

Not sure

09/05/2007

Question:

Help please! I have no one to turn to. A week ago I met a girl and a few days after we went to her place and had sex. (Safe sex) Just before we had intercourse she reached into her nightstand and pulled out a small vial with about 1/4 of liquid in it. She said Here smell this , so I did. It didnt seem to have an odor but I got this rush feeling all over my body. We had sex and I had the most incredible orgasm ever. Here is my problem, First I NEVER did a drug in my life! Second, She is a Dentist so what did she slip me? (She wont tell me) She has access to a lot of things being a med professional. Is it something that has caused me bodily harm? Could it have given me side effects? I need to know what it could have been. Can you please help me?? Im a little scared! The day after I asked what it was and when she wouldnt tell me I walked away from her. Im ashamed that I let it happen but how was I to know it was drug? I didnt know the fumes of such a small vial would do that. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IT WAS. Thank you

Answer:

It is possible that the substance was amyl or butyl nitrate, also called "poppers," because it comes in a bottle or small glass vials which are "popped" open.  Historically, this substance has been used to treat angina.  It is a drug that is that is abused to heighten sexual arousal.  The vapors are inhaled through the nose or mouth, with immediate effects lasting from 30 seconds to five minutes.  Individuals with hypertension, heart problems, or glaucoma are especially at risk.  The individual may experience headache, dizziness and feel light-headed.  With large doses there is slowed perception of time, nausea and vomiting and possible circulatory collapse and death. 

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Deborah L Hoy, CNS Deborah L Hoy, CNS
Clinical Instructor at the College of Nursing

Tom Hartwell Pepper, MD Tom Hartwell Pepper, MD
Medical Director of Ohio State University Addiction