Breast Cancer

Inflamed breast

10/17/2007

Question:

I had a partial mastectomy about a year ago --last Monday I had a mamogram -- was fine on Tuesday I noticed that the breast that had the mastectomy was bright red -- same on Wednesday plus started running a fever on Wed. night -100.8* --got in touch w/Dr. and he saw me today It`s beginning to look a little better -- some of the redness is fadeing -- Doctor said he`d never seen anything like it --comforting --put me on an antibiotic for 10 days and will see me again on Tues. I`ve had no trouble w/the mastectomy -- any thoughts on what may have caused it ?

Answer:

It sounds like you may have a bout of mastitis- which may just be coincidentally related in time to the mammogram. If you have a break in the skin and then compression, maybe a small infection may have developed that way. If you don't respond to the antibiotics, make sure you call your surgeon. An ultrasound may identify a fluid collection (abscess) that can be drained.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jennifer B Manders, MD Jennifer B Manders, MD