Athletic Training

ACL partial tear

09/05/2007

Question:

ONE YEAR AGO, I HAVE PARTIALY TEARED MY ACL WHILE PLAYING SOCCER.I WAS ADVISED MY DOCTOR TO AVOID SURGERY, AND JUST EXCERSIE TO STRENGTHEN THE KNEE`S MUSCLES,AND RE-SCHEDUALE MY SPORT ACTIVITIES.BUT UNFORTUNATLY, MY KNEE IS STILL WEAK, AND I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCEON IT.BUT LATELY, I READ SOME ARTICLES ABOUT SOMETHING CALLED "PROLOTHERAPY" THAT COULD HELP THE ACL TO HEAL AND REGENERATE IT SELF.IS IT REALY WORTHY OR NOT. THANK YOU.

Answer:

There is no research to support the claims of prolotherapy in regeneration of the ACL. The ACL is a very important ligament in providing stabilization to the knee when doing activities that require cutting and agility maneuvers. Performance of a good strengthening program and balance training are the current best methods to assist in rehabilitation from a partial ACL tear. If you are continuing to have symptoms, I would advise you for a follow up with your physician to review your symptoms and discuss further options related to your injury. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences