Pain Management

Sciatic Nerve

09/06/2007

Question:

About 6 1/2 months ago I started developing constant knee pain in my left knee. And about 1 month ago they told me I had Patello-Femoral syndrome. Now I have been feeling the same pain starting to develop in my other knee. Thursday they told me that I have a pinched sciatic nerve in my left leg. Could the sciatic nerve be related to the Patello -Femoral syndrome or is it something different. Also, I had injured my left knee about 12 years ago and I would have pain that would come and go every once in a while. But ever since joining the Army the pain has been constant all the time and is just about to the point where it can get unbearable. Even walking and going up the stairs is a chore for me. Could the Patello-Femoral be the result of the old injury? And is this something that might follow me for the rest of my life?

Answer:

It is unlikely sciatica. You would be best served with an orthopedic or Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation consult.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine