Menopause

Hot flashes at age 82?

09/06/2007

Question:

My mother is 82 and just stopped taking premarin a couple of years ago. She gets flashes from the neck up on and off all day long, and this never lets up. It makes her life quite uncomfortable as she is always soaking wet and can`t keep much of a hairdo! Her doctors are not concerned--all her blood tests are normal. However, I am.

Could she still be experiencing menopause-related hot flashes at age 82?

Also, could you suggest a specialist who might be best qualified to find the cause of these flashes? Would this be an endocrinologist?

Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Your mother is most likely having hot flashes because she just had menopause all over again by stopping her Premarin. This phenomenon happens to many women and it is something that is often not well explained to women at the time they start taking hormones. The important thing is that her doctors considered other possibilities as well before making their conclusion. If your mother states that she feels just as she did at menopause, she is probably right.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology