Thyroid Diseases

Tremors - Cased by Hypothyroidism?

09/11/2007

Question:

I had inward goiter removed in 1967. I`ve been taking thyroid replacement therapy since that time. For the past several months I cannot seem to get warm. The last month I developed tremors and shortness of breath. In the past the tremors always led to my thryoid medicine being changed. However, I had T4, T3, and TSH tested. Doctor says results are within normal limits. Can I have normal blood results but yet something be wrong w/ my thyroid? After all I`ve been taking thyroid meds for almost 40 years. I`m really struggling w/tremors. Can you help me? Thank You So Much! :)

Answer:

It is unlikely that your thyroid status is causing any problems if your thyroid function test is really within normal range and has been stable over time. Tremor are a nonspecific symptom and your physician should look for other reasons explaining these relatively new symptoms for you.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology