Obesity and Weight Management

Weight loss and sagging skin

11/02/2007

Question:

I am a 26 year old mother and I am 30lbs over weight. I have started to excercise and I eat only healthy food. So far I have managed to lose 10 lbs; but now i find that my skin are sagging especially on my face. This is making me look older and unattractive. Is there anything I can do about this. Are there any specific excersises that can elp me lose weight without sagging the skin. I also would like to know if any lotions ard creams would help prevent the sagging skin. If yes, can suggest some for me. Thanks.

Answer:

First congratulations on taking care of your health by trying to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, good fitness, and nutrition. There are SO many changes to a woman after a baby is born. First make sure you are keeping hydrated - skin will sag if you do not have enough fluid. Second, when a person loses weight skin can sag, but particularly in younger people, will tighten up - but it can take up to a year to optimize.

Resistance exercises (like using dumbbells, and doing pushups) are important to maintaining your lean body weight and should be done along with aerobic exercise. Make sure you take a multivitamin + minerals daily, have adequate calcium in your diet and if your periods are heavy, take an iron supplement. This is necessary for skin and overall health. No lotions or creams make a substantial difference in the firmness of skin.

Remember, you should be building health lifetime habits.

If the excess skin continues to seem excessive, please see your primary physician for a full history and physical examination.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Eileen  Seeholzer, MD, MS Eileen Seeholzer, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine