Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Root canal future crown work

09/07/2007

Question:

Hello:) When is a post/crown combo needed vs. just a crown by itself?

Would it be overkill to put a post/crown combo in a #7-(is the root too narrow?)

And is a thick Veneer (NOT Lumineers) that covers half the back of the tooth enough to structurally protect a tooth that has had previous root canal work on it?

If a crown or veneer IS being placed on a previously root canal treated tooth, is it always necessary to have a root canal treatment RE-DONE beforehand-is the last one was done yrs earlier?

Is there anything an x-ray won`t reveal about a formerly treated root canal tooth?

Thanks for your very important time.

Answer:

In response to your questions, I will itemize:

1. Tooth #7 (maxillary lateral incisor) is not a uniform size for everyone so that would need to evaluated by a dentist. I would recommend a second opinion.  Most maxillary lateral incisors are large enough for a post and crown.

2.  In general, full coverage crowns are recommended for root canal treated teeth, but it depends on the forces on the tooth.  The lateral incisor is usually somewhat protected by its neighboring teeth.

3.  Root canals need redone if the seal has been jeopardized in some way.  Again, this should be evaluated clinically and radiographically.

4.  There are things that we can not see on radiographs such as cracks.  In this event, we need to rely on symptoms.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry