Asthma

Asthma Attacks and Diabetes

09/10/2007

Question:

Hi, I have had an ongoing asthma exacerbation since April 2007 and was hospitalized 3 times--1X in April and 2X in June. The onset is very quick and I have yet to figure out what is the new trigger. This past year was the first time I was hospitalized for asthma as an adult. Previously, I did not have an asthma doctor for about 10 years.

I have found with doses of prednisone to control the asthma, that my vision becomes very blurry --bad enough to not be able to drive. I have been/off prednisone for most of the summer of 2007.

I have a history of diabetes in my family. I am on the thin side and used to exercise on a regular basis before this last asthma onset. Should I be concerned about my sugar levels? thank you.

Answer:

Yes, I would recommend you discuss this problem with both your asthma care provider and your primary or diabetes care provider as prednisone can definitely impact on blood glucose levels.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

John G Mastronarde, MD John G Mastronarde, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep