Gum Diseases

Gum graph done

09/12/2007

Question:

I had a gum graph done from the top of my mouth to my lower front tooth. Dentist put some kind of protector over the donor area (almost like a piece of bubble gum). The graphed area was stitched on. As crazy as it sounds - I never had to take even one advil, etc. I experienced a little discomfort but pain on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the worst, I would say it was a 1.

Question is this. The graphed area is white colored - is this because the graph was a little deeper and that the graph is taking below the white colored skin, which will eventually take or fall away, etc?

Thanks.

Answer:

It sounds like you had what we call "free gingival graft". This means that the epithelial (superficial) layer is kept on grafted tissue. During the healing phase, this layer sloughs away as white colored skin. This is probably what you are seeing. However, sometimes the graft does not survive and become necrotic and sloughs away. Thus, I cannot really tell what is happening without seeing the wound area. Probably, your periodontist will let it heal for couple of weeks and inform you about the outcome.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology