Complementary Medicine

Vitamin B12 Deficiency with B12 Supplemnts

09/12/2007

Question:

I am a 62 y/o male. I just discovered that I have a B12 deficiency(my level was 138). My symptoms included fatigue and demetia type symptoms(memory loss mostly). I am also diabetic and take glucophage. My Physician ordered B12 injections once per month for 3 months and sublingual B12 500 mcg daily. I had my first injection August 24th and started the SL B12 on the 25th. I have yet to feel any increase in energy, decrease in fatigue and the memory is still poor. I spoke with my physicians office staff today( 9/11/07) and was told that it may take 6 weeks to start to feel better. I have read several articles and they all have stated that within 48-72 hours a person should feel more energized. I realize a persons response to B12 is individualized, but how long does it normally take to see an improvement after starting B12 therapy? Thank you so much for your time.

Answer:

Vit B12 deficiency > 3 months can leave permanent deficits. Having said that most patients respond in a day or two with the half life being 6 days. When patients do not feel a response we add B-100 before each meal and find the mental components return in 5-7 days, but takes months to be perfect.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine