Arthritis and Rheumatism

Bad toe

09/17/2007

Question:

I am 33 years old and have RA and OA in my feet. Today right out of the blue I got this realy bad pain in my big toe. It is on the bottom of my foot where my toe joins my foot. It hurts to walk on it, move it, or touch it. When I do walk on it, it feels like there is a marbale there. Could this be the beginning of gout which I never had before? Can you tell me the symptoms of gout? Thanks

Answer:

Gout is a metabolic disease that often affects the big toe joint. The discomfort is usually very intense and the entire joint is usually swollen, red and warm to the touch. It is sometimes so painful that even a bed sheet touching it is hard to handle. What you may have is something called sesamoiditis which is an inflammation of one or two bones under the big toe joint. They may be just inflamed or they may actually be fractured and a visit to your podiatrist or foot care specialist for an examination and possible x-ray is in order. Here is drawing of the location of the sesamoid bones.

Sesamoid-skeletalfront
Balls of feet>in pain

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery