Pain Management

Extreme Unexplained Pain

09/19/2007

Question:

My mother has pain attacks at time the attacks can be set off by just cold air blowing on her and then at times it don't have to be cold for her to have one. Some times the pain may start in her knees and and spread, but she has chills along with this and a pounding headache and weakness in the legs and nausea sometimes. But she has been to a neurologist and they haven't found out what this is and had just about every test done in the book. Her local doctor says that she is having panic attacks. She takes Hydrocodone at the onset of these attacks and it takes about 30 minutes until this works. She hate to take this pain medicine all the time is there anything else out there, because she needs help now.

Answer:

I would need more information about the case to be able to direct you more. Based on what I have, you should have your mother seen by a rheumatologist to try to determine the source of her pain. Thank you.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia