Pain Management

Pinched Nerve and Numbness

09/19/2007

Question:

My boyfriend does have lung cancer and a small tumor on his lower spine and brain. A few months ago he also had an epidural for a herniated disc pressing a nerve against his spine. He has numbness in his lower back and rectum and is having some bladder problems. I believe this may be still caused from the nerve problem. He also has tens unit from a neck problem. Do you think this would help the nerve? His oncologist is hesitant to send him back to an orthopedic even though he has a report saying there is a disc/nerve problem. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Answer:

I am sorry to here that your friend has lung cancer. One thing you have to make sure that he does not have compression fracture or collapsed vertebra. Then if that is okay, he will need to see a pain specialist to be able to determine the actual need of a repeat epidural or more interventions like selective nerve block or percutaneous diskectomy. Thank you.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia