Sarcoidosis

My sister`s ongoing health battle

10/01/2007

Question:

My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in sept. 05. She had surgery and chemo and did well with that, not long after she developed sarcaoids in her chest and cardiac problems which required a stent being placed in a artery near her heart. After her cardiac rehab was completed she continued being out of breath and she began getting tissue irratations around and on both eyelids, also she was diagnosed with sleep apnea and is on the forced air at night. I`m wondering if all her complications after her chemo are related to the chemo or can some of her problems be related to the sarcoids? She ironically was a nurse in a Gastro m.d. office while diagnosed with colon ca. Her hopes remain high about overcoming the cancer but the battle continues with all the other side problems. Can you explain if these syptoms are common with sarcoids or post chemo treatment and will it clear up or get worse?

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

It is possible that some of the symptoms your sister is experiencing are related to the sarcoidosis, and not the chemotherapy. It is often difficult to separate the symptoms related to sarcoidosis from other diseases or the effects of drugs (like chemotherapies). I would recommend that your sister ask her doctor to help her determine what is causing her symptoms.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine