Arthritis and Rheumatism

Feeling hopeless

09/24/2007

Question:

I have been having flank discomfort for quite some time now. seems to go from left to right but mostly on the left side. I have been to numerous doctors and had x-rays and scans and have been told everythings fine. occasionally I have a sometimes sharp pain in my left groin area that goes away quickly. I have noticed urinating that there is always swirls in the urine if you could picture pouring rubbing alchohol in water. I have in the past been a heavy beer drinker and recently have backed off or stopped for periods of time. I thought maybe I was pasing kidney stones as a short time ago my left side was very uncomfortable. I do have a very high stress job and encounter very difficult nights staying asleep. I toss and turn alot and sometimes experience sweats. I drink plenty of distilled water and excercise 4-6 days per week. I have in the past wondered if I suffer from fybromalgia? as I keep getting told i`m fine. Please any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Answer:

A visit to a physician with an interest in musculoskeletal medicine (Rheumatologists, Family Medicine or Internal Medicine physicians with musculoskeletal interest) could help clarify if you meet criteria for fibromyalgia syndrome. It’s not a diagnosis that can be made via this website. History and physical exam are important elements to making the diagnosis.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine