Newborn and Infant Care

Low platelets

10/03/2007

Question:

my grandson is 2 weeks old his plateltes count is 70 is this conseder low and what does it means?, thank you

Answer:

A normal platelet count is 150,000 to 450,000 throughout life. Platelets are critical part of the clotting system. They come from the white blood cell line that fights infection, so when white blood cells are very low, platelets can also be very low as the baby's body tries to fight the infection and exhausts the body's reserve of extra white cells and platelets.

Rare conditions of newborns with low platelets include a tendency for the baby's body to destroy its own platelets, the transfer of maternal antibodies through the placenta that destroy the baby's platelets, newborn leukemia, lack of platelet producing cells in the baby, and Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome a very rare inherited disease that combines eczema, low platelets, and a tendency to become ill easily.  

Your grandson's doctors and nurses will be happy to explain what is wrong and what they are doing to help him recover quickly. I hope all is well soon.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing