Addiction and Substance Abuse

Smoking crack?

10/18/2007

Question:

I do not regularly smoke pot. I did for the first time in 2 years last wednesday. My friend has had the pipe I smoked out of for about a year and a half. After I had smoked, I realized that I had never felt what I was feeling and panicked. It turns out that my "friend" neglected to inform me that he smoked crack in large amounts around the time that he got the pipe, and I smoked the resin along with the pot. The high itself lasted about an hour and a half, it went away after I tried to sleep it off, I just felt the weed at that point. The day after, I still felt very "fuzzy" and "dream-like", it was like that for a few days after as well. Right now I feel alot better, but, I still feel a little off, not like how I felt before the incident. Not "normal". My question is can you still feel the after effects of smoking crack so long after it happened, even in small amounts and even if it was the first time you`ve done it and if so, will the effects last much longer? I`m a little nervous because I`m kinda alone with this and I just need to know what`s happening. Thank you for your time.

Answer:

It is difficult to say with certainty that crack was the "only thing" in that pipe. If there were other contaminants in the pipe, that might explain why the after-effects seemed to last so long. In general, after using cocaine, the effects should subside within a few hours. However, every person's brain chemistry is unique and this makes it difficult to say an exact time at which you should feel "normal" again. There is no need to be alone with these symptoms. I would suggest that you call and speak with a drug/alcohol counselor or seek assistance from a local emergency room if your symptoms persist and you still don't feel well.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry