Central Auditory Processing Disorder and Medication Options

10/25/2007

Question:

My child was diagnosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder in kindergarten. He is now in 5thb grade. We tried Straterra in 2nd grade with no relief. He was very moody on this medication and cried a lot and seemed to be very emotional. He does not behave poorly in a quiet environment or a noisy environment he enjoys. Restaurants bother him and he actually gets physically ill in these noisy crowded areas. Please provide some feedback. Thank You.

Answer:

Understanding and managing symptoms of Central Auditory Processing Disorder can be quite a challenge. I commend you for not giving up!

Auditory processing refers to how one takes in and makes sense of auditory stimuli as well as how one filters or screens out auditory stimulation. CAPD is a group of symptoms that reflect a difficulty effectively managing auditory stimulation. CAPD may present in a variety of behavioral ways that include lack of response, inappropriate response and over response to auditory stimulation. As you have noted, the behavioral symptoms may be influenced by the situation the child is in and may lead to what appears to be inconsistent responses to auditory stimulation.

Anita Dempsey, MSN, APRN, BC, PhD (c)
Visiting Instructor