Exercise and Fitness

Fat around arms and thighs

10/16/2007

Question:

I am 26 year old mother of a 8 month old baby. I weigh 155lbs now and my height is 5 ft 4 inches. Although my weight has gone down (almost 45 lbs) since my delivery, I still haven`t any fat around my thighs and arms. My overall body looks unpropotional now. Can you pls suggest some good excersises that can be done for those specific areas. Thanks

Answer:

Weight reduction occurs throughout the body, not in specific areas. "Spot reduction" is not possible. Aerobic exercise helps burn calories and therefore should be encouraged for weight reduction in general. Cardiovascular exercise performed 3 - 5 days per week for 30 - 60 minutes per session will help shed body fat.

Contrary to what many commercials suggest, there is no such thing as spot reduction. Fat is lost throughout the body through energy expenditure in a pattern dependent upon genetics, hormones, and age. Overall body fat must be reduced to lose fat in any particular area.

Some good exercises for the quadricep (thigh) muscles are squats, leg press, and leg extension. Good exercises for the upper body include the shoulder press, chest press, seated row, bicep curls, and triceps extension. When performed correctly and under proper supervision, 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions, these exercises should help you tone your legs.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley