Vascular Surgery

Blue feet and other crazy symptoms

10/10/2007

Question:

I am a 25 year old 75 lb. female. I have had migraines since I was young. About a year and a half ago my doctor perscribed RELPAX for my headaches. It worked great! But soon after taking it I developed diarrhea that lasted about a month. Then my feet started turning blue/purple sometimes almost black in my toes and got this horrible rash that itched really bad. I went to my doctor for that and was prescribed a cream for athlethes foot. The itching went away but they were still blue and black when they got cold. I went to another doctor and she said I also had a heart murmur. I had an ultrasound of my heart and no abnormalities were found. I stopped taking the relpax and my feet are not as blue but they still aren`t the right color. My friend said from about my ankle down I "looked like a dead person." I have lost about 10 lbs. and I was already underweight so loosing 10 lbs is a lot for me. I have had night sweats a couple of times and now I have a rash on my fingers. Sometimes it feels like my heart hurts on the bottom left (I thought it might just be gas!) I am also anemic. I have a family history of heart and circulatory problems. Any ideas of what I have or tests I should request or am I just crazy?

Answer:

A simple physical exam by your primary care physician can determine whether you have any vascular problems. It would be unusual at your young age.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD