Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Testing for Panic Disorders

10/11/2007

Question:

I`m 33 years old now. I`m in teaching profession. I have problem. Whenever I feel stressed, angry or scared, my heart beating so fast, I`m getting my pain from one part of my body, my left side from head to toe. I feel like pulling pain. I dont know why. The pain almost last at least for one week. The most affected part is my face. I feel my left side face is like pulling pain and burning sensation inside my nose. Please let me know, am I suppose to go for a blood check up to confirm what I really have? Some times even for a small pain I feel so much until I get panic attack. Please answer me. Thank you.

Answer:

While there are no "blood tests" for panic disorder, some of the symptoms you describe are consistent with panic, including a fast heart beat, feelings of fear or anger and vague pains.  Look at the weblinks for some more information about panic disorder.

It is unusual pain to persist for a week from a panic attack, but you may also have some depression or general anxiety, which can be associated with pain.  You might also have an unrelated medical problem causing your pain, and I encourage you to see your primary care doctor for a complete evaluation.  Your doctor can then assist you in finding a mental health professional, because I would encourage you to get help for the panic disorder.  Both medications and counseling (and both together) are successful in treating panic disorder.

Good luck.

NIH NIMH anxiety
anxiety disorders of america

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD